Thursday, July 28, 2011

The solar powered Marshmallow.

So I ended up ordering a solar panel for my van to keep my chassis battery health and charged and to charge my house battery for lights, a vent fan, and soon to be a fridge.

I ended up going with a 100W Solar Cynergy panel and a MorningStar Sun Saver Duo which will allow me to charge two batteries at once. What's nicer still is it allows me to dedicate priority to one or the other batty.

I have it set to trickle charge my chassis battery and devote charging to my van battery because my van battery is in sad shape.

More than just surface charging my batteries, it will boost them and give them a super strong charge, lengthening their life.

I also swapped out my crappy smart solenoid isolator for a constant duty. It switches on when the van is started to connect the batteries for alternating charging, switches off and disconnects the batteries when it is off.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

This falcon and a few pals were circling above making all sorts of noise.
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Are you going to Tacodoc's SoCal Mountain Rendezvous? Should be marshmallow friendly and an all around good time with the ExPo crew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm, not sure. Where and when is it? Marshmallow has no recovery gear or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big Bear area, Sept 24-25. Coordinates to be announced. Access is supposed to be a dirt, but 2wd friendly. Should be a great turnout with lots of cool folks and rigs.
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/60155-SoCal-Mountain-Rendezvous-Dates

    ReplyDelete